Thursday, August 26, 2010

What Do I Call This Post ...

Lots of options ...

Zen Ride
Change of Pace
She's A Little Rocket After All

And I'll get to that in a little bit. I got up at 5:45 this morning and "did" peaches. I started out by canning a load. I find canning very satisfying and relaxing. And fun!! I used to put away 100+ jars of salsa but I don't have tomatoes and peppers and onions this year. But I'm enjoying doing fruit and jam.

First you submerge the peaches in boiling water for about 30 seconds and then plunge them in cold water to stop the cooking. The skins slip right off. Then slice them and put them in water with a little ascorbic acid (either Fruit Fresh or vitamin C or something) to prevent discoloration.

Meanwhile the canner is filled with water and sterilized jars and bubbles away on the stove.

Then I prepare a light sugar syrup and put the treated peaches in it and bring to a boil.

Then the sterilized jars are filled with peaches and syrup and boil away in the canner for 20 minutes. Nothing to it.

Last year I did peaches in wine. They were yummy too. This year, they're non-alcoholic. :-)

Then ... I made a pan of Oatmeal Cookie Peach Cobbler for this evening. It's a Cooking Light recipe and is on my recipe blog. The topping does taste like a soft oatmeal cookie.

So by this time it was just after 7:30 so I decided to go for a walk until 8:25 (when I have to get in the shower, eat my oatmeal and leave for work by 8:50). Got in a 3.54 mile walk with a little bit of running--I couldn't resist, which felt great. But I didn't want to push the running so kept it to a minimum. What a beautiful morning. Cool, crisp air, clear blue skies, no wind. Days like this are why we live in Minnesota, not??

Broom Corn
This afternoon I was planning on a longish bike ride ... allowed time for about 60 miles before the RTC potluck. I had a general idea of where I wanted to ride. The wind was south/southwest, and noticeable. So I did my usual Salem Corners/Rock Dell/High Forest thing and then headed east on county 16 by the airport and over to Simpson. I contemplated taking 111 north of Simpson to the east, but there's some traffic on it and no shoulder. And I couldn't resist the temptation of the downhills on County 1 so that won out. When I got to 20th St SE, I headed west and across Broadway to Mayowood Road and then south on 18th Ave SW to 40th St SW. I was having a blast on this ride, even into the wind. My legs felt GREAT.Funny how that works when I haven't been running ... so, I decided to push for about 75 miles instead. If I really cranked, I could just about make it to the potluck on time. So I headed south on County 8 back to High Forest/Rock Dell/Salem Corners.


I tried the Panorama feature on my phone camera ... I need some practice!

Total distance: 78.55 miles. Had I not had somewhere to go, I would have made it a century ride. Just one of those zen experiences when everything comes together. Sometimes happens on the run too (TC10 last year, most noticeably). It's a great feeling. Anyway, on the right day, my new bike can indeed be as Deb said ... a little rocket. I'm really enjoying the literal change of pace this week. It's OK to not run for a time. And these beautiful biking days are indeed numbered ... I've seen some maples changing already. You can almost feel fall in the air already. Onward.

I believe there is a long run taking place Sunday morning on the Douglas Trail. Not sure what I will do yet. I'll see how my "running legs" (and toe) are faring and go from there. Details on the Sunday run on Team R.E.D.

One more running note ... Paul and Linda on my River Runner Race Team have also signed up for the 25K on 9/12. Andy Becker said he is thinking about it. I have yet to register but am still considering it.

This evening I went to the RTC annual potluck. Pete was there as he has been every year, cooking his freshly picked sweet corn which comes straight from his garden. It's always DELICIOUS and this year was no different.


 It was a beautiful evening for a picnic.





This is what I chose to eat ...


These multi-hour expenditures of energy always make me so hungry. It's 9:48 PM and I just ate a bowl of cherries. They were DELICIOUS. Clearly I didn't eat enough for supper after that ride. There were several choices for dessert so I chose to sample about 2 bites of 3 things ...


Jim Mason and Teresa Walter both wanted to see my toe "up close and personal.". Ha!! Jean and I talked Half Marathon stuff. Thank you Ian Torchia for stepping up as the latest volunteer! A bunch of us are planning a post-race celebration (?!) somewhere on a restaurant patio (Twigs, Beetles, ... whatever) noon'ish on Saturday. If you'd like to join us, let me know and I'll text you when we're ready to let loose. It's supposed to be a beautiful weather weekend. Jean, Jen and I are meeting at Running Room at 10 AM Friday and then picking up a big ol' U-Haul truck so we can cruise Rochester. I think we should wear dark glasses and scarves ala Thelma and Louise.  And I think we should go thru a drive-thru for lunch!! It was pretty funny last year (Jen wouldn't agree) watching her trying to back a 26' truck into my driveway. Oh my ... it was really something. We can laugh about it now. :-)

I just finished making cookies for the volunteers tomorrow and for as long as they last on Saturday. It's been a full day. I'm ready to fall onto (the right side!) of my bed and read the paper. And I think I'll do just that. (BTW: I'm starting to compile another list of my idiosyncrasies to post. Stay tuned.)

As quilters say ... pieces be with you. Good night.

No comments: